March 21, 2019
Kids will have a blast making this craft.
These bottles sparkle and shine with every move. Sometimes called ‘calm down’ bottles, they can be used to teach kids about sensory-processing or mindfulness. It’s also fun for space-lovers to recreate what they think the galaxy looks like. Kids at the House had a blast making them at RMHC Toronto Camp during March Break.
You will need:
- Empty water bottles (plastic or reusable)
- Plastic cups
- Tempera paint
- Popsicle sticks or long wooden sticks or spoons
- Cotton balls
- Hot glue
- Select a few colours of paint you like. For our bottles, we selected colours that replicated the colours of the galaxy; pink, purple and blue.
- Pour a little bit of water into one of the plastic cups. For the first layer of our bottle, we used ¼ of a cup.
- Add a little tempera paint and stir using the popsicle stick/wooden stick.
- Pour that water and paint mixture into your bottle.
- Add cotton balls and glitter.
- Repeat the layers, mixing the water and paint, pour it into the bottle and add more cotton balls and glitter.
- Once your bottle is full, hot glue the cap back onto the bottle.