Since 1981, Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC) Toronto has served as a place to call home for families with seriously ill children undergoing treatment. RMHC Toronto encompasses a House for 81 families in downtown Toronto and seven Family Rooms in hospitals across the Greater Toronto Area and in Sudbury. The families we serve come from throughout Ontario, across Canada and around the world.
We are looking for a Senior Director of People & Culture to join our team in Toronto.
About the opportunity
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer and working closely with the Chief Operating Officer, the Senior Director, People & Culture is a key member of the Senior Leadership Team, leading the organization’s Human Resources and Volunteer Engagement functions, fostering a healthy, safe, inclusive, engaged and respectful workplace.
The Senior Director, People & Culture provides HR insights and works with the senior leadership team to develop the organization’s people strategy, effectively building organizational capability to achieve business goals with a commitment to teamwork. The Senior Director also helps the organization mitigate risk by overseeing all HR and volunteer activities, policies and processes, ensuring compliance with all employment-related legislative requirements.
- Provide leadership to a team of HR and Volunteer Engagement staff to effectively serve the needs of the organization;
- Work collaboratively with business leaders to translate business needs into concrete HR & Volunteer Engagement actions. Recommend strategies to improve programs based on feedback, comprehensive knowledge, research and analysis of best practices in these areas;
- Partner with the SLT to develop HR & Volunteer Engagement policies, programs and procedures that ensure an inclusive and engaged workforce and are consistent with statutory and regulatory requirements. Ensure proactive communications, both internally and externally;
- Design and implement an engaging volunteer experience. Oversee / implement volunteer engagement strategies, create and execute recruitment & retention plans, and grow volunteer awareness and engagement;
- Ensure adequate health & safety training and risk mitigation measures are implemented, updated and maintained across the organization to ensure the health & safety of all employees and volunteers;
- Oversee the effective management and resolution of employee relations issues and provide counsel to management in employee relations matters;
- Provide strategic HR & Volunteer Engagement advice to the CEO, COO and Board of Directors in support of the organization’s mission and strategic plan;
- Develop and implement the annual HR & Volunteer Engagement business plans & budgets, ensuring alignment to organizational business and strategic goals, and monitor monthly expenses and variances;
- Liaise with external auditors or government authorities, as necessary, to support audits or respond to requests for information;
- Develop and implement Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives;
- Special projects and perform other duties, as required.
Education & Experience
- University degree in business administration, commerce or human resources management and CHRE designation;
- 15+ years of relevant HR and volunteer management experience, including several years at the senior leadership level, ideally in the not-for-profit sector.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Deep HR generalist experience across a multitude of areas (staffing, talent management, succession planning, organizational design, compensation and benefits, change management, employee relations and health and safety);
- Proven leader (ability to coach, develop and mentor a team of HR staff and volunteers) with a track record of success;
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of federal and provincial employment-related legislation, professional standards, best practices and protocols in human resources and volunteer management;
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) with the ability to effectively present ideas, clarify concerns and concepts to various audiences, and influence stakeholders;
- Outstanding interpersonal, relationship management and change management skills, with the abilities to channel different points of view, establish and maintain trusting relationships and credibility, work collaboratively, negotiate effectively and lead people through times of change;
- Thinks strategically, creatively, analytically and pragmatically; able to anticipate future needs and identify opportunities. Well-developed analytical and planning skills, with initiative to provide advice, solve problems and implement improvements;
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to strategy at a senior level and translate strategy into actionable plans. Proven leader with track record of successfully delivering results;
- Exceptional organizational skills. Ability to manage multiple deliverables in a fast-paced environment, adapt to frequently changing and concurrent priorities, and respond to evolving internal business needs, as well as external factors. Project management skills are a definite asset;
- Demonstrated ability to remain objective, resilient and flexible in order to manage organizational and personnel issues. Maintains confidentiality and manages sensitive situations with excellent judgment and discretion;
- Excellent proficiency with MS Office Suite. Working proficiency with HRMS applications;
- Willingness and ability to learn new skills and adapt to changing environment and technology;
- Embodies a customer service mindset; operates as a value-added business partner with a solutions orientation;
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including evenings and occasional weekends.
We want to hear from you! Like what you’re hearing so far, but still wondering if RMHC Toronto is right for you? We offer:
- A competitive compensation & health benefits package.
- RRSP Program.
- Wellness days.
- An opportunity to make a difference in the lives of children, families, and the community.
Interested in being a part of the RMHC Toronto team? Does this sound like you? If so, we look forward to your application!
The successful candidate will need to undergo a successful Vulnerable Sector Screening Police check.
Please inform us if you require any accommodations during the hiring process. Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your application online by clicking “Apply Now”.